EARLY TO MID-DECEMBER -- PART 2


ROCKWELL KENT WILDERNESS CENTENNIAL JOURNAL
100 YEARS LATER
by Doug Capra © 2018
Early to Mid-December 2018 – Part 2

MORE THOUGHTS ABOUT THE KENT ALASKA LETTERS
From Early to Mid-December 1918


Pen and ink from Wilderness. Weltschmerz -- German -- literally "world pain." A weary or pessimistic feeling about life.




In early December Kent tells Kathleen that he has ended the affair with Hildegarde. He’s written to Hildegarde telling her the same. On one level, his letters now try to convince his wife that he is a new man. He has changed. He now appreciates the sacrifices Kathleen has made and regrets the suffering he has caused her. He agrees with her – that they need to wipe away the past and start from the beginning to save their marriage. That includes eliminating Hildegarde, which he has agreed to do. He misses Kathleen deeply and says he never wants them this far apart again.


Pen and ink from Wilderness

His language sometimes becomes erotic, as he writes on Dec. 10th: “I’ll tickle you where you love it and shake your legs. Heavens, the thought of your flesh makes me frantic. I never loved you as I do now and I never appreciated you before as I do now after all the glorious sacrifices you’ve made for me, the bitter, bitter suffering you’ve had. Kathleen, I could not do what you have done. I’ll never away from you.” As Kent writes like this, he’s operating on emotions, not reason. He totally believes what he’s saying, in my opinion. When reason kicks in, he knows he’s weak and admits it, even to Kathleen. But he is a romantic idealist and has set his goals on perfection for both himself and his wife. Kathleen represents the romantic ideal of woman and motherhood to him – completely faithful, pure, and wholesome -- a role she can never live up to.


Pen and ink from Wilderness

Kent is fixated on their correspondence. Several times he urges Kathleen to reread every one of his letters from Alaska, study them line by line, and answer all his questions. On Dec. 11th he writes: “Darling. Let’s wipe out all the past and begin once again. Let us have no reminders of the unhappy days. I at least will have no (heavy?) ones. I will sever myself utterly from everything that has ever given you unhappiness. And I propose that together we go over our boxes of letters and if we find any letters from others but ourselves {throw} away these -- except our proper friends – we’ll burn them joyfully. Then we’ll begin and read all of our letters aloud from the very beginning.”

As I’ve stated before, we have Kent’s letters to Hildegarde. She saved them and after she died her nephew inherited them. They were sold at auction and later donated to the archives at Columbia University. We don’t have Hildegarde’s letters to Kent. What happened to them? The quote above contains a clue. My guess is – and I have no evidence as of yet – is that when Kent got back from Alaska, he initially strove to show Kathleen he was a changed man and made a serious attempt to honor all he had promised in the Alaska letters. Their marriage may have started to improve – between that spring of 1919 when he returned from Alaska and 1920-21 with his success and rising fame. He had wanted to escape the city and move away from the crowds – and the Vermont home near Arlington that he called Egypt fulfilled that desire. But soon he was off again on another adventure to Tierra del Fuego and other affairs soon followed. But during those placid days in Vermont, Kathleen may have taken him at his word and he may have agreed to destroy Hildegarde’s letters to him. Even the furniture Kathleen and Hildegarde had fought over – the chair and the andiron – bothered Kent. In that Dec. 11th letter to Kathleen from Fox Island, Kent wrote: “By the way – if you do get any furniture that was in the studio I’ll pitch it out of doors when I return. I hate it – and so shall you.” He seemed intent on ridding every memory of Hildegarde from his marriage. Kent’s letters to Kathleen are written on several levels. He tells stories about Rockie, he describes his trips to Seward, he talks about Olson, and he narrates his pioneering exploits. Rarely does he discuss his art, but in a Dec. 8th letter he goes into detail:

 Now! We have before us views across the water at the mountains, a gray day with a stormy sea, in the foreground driftwood and the prow of a wrecked dory – and a woman finds it – horror stricken. A blue sunlit day with the mountains sharp and clear. A picture of our cove with the sun setting straight in the middle and reflected in a broad glare right at my feet. A little cabin is in this picture and there will be people and whales. A strange picture of a midsummer night toward dawn, a stark naked beautiful young man lies sleeping in a roofless, half constructed cabin, and beyond are the mountains, the deep blue water and the glowing sky. A picture called “To God!” A naked man stands straight up in the picture, at his right hand, falling the full picture height & more, a waterfall; in his left hand is a goblet of sparkling water that he holds aloft against the profound black sky. All about the figure is an aura of light. Otters play at his feet, and beyond is the dark sea and a mountainous land. A picture of father and son – like the drawing I’ll send you.


 Pen and ink from Wilderness

 A realistic picture of our cabin with the trees about it, the wood pile and the distant mountains and the same figure of father and son in the picture. An afternoon view across our bay with the goats in the foreground and the stump of a tree – huge and grotesque. And “Superman”, a glorious figure striding with giant steps over the mountain tops reaching upward to embrace all space. About him are the stars and beautiful, many colored lights. On the dark mountainous land beneath him men are living as they do today with slaughter and the burning of homes. These pictures of which I have told you are done within reach of final completion. I may not – I probably shall not finish them here.”


 Pen and ink from Wilderness

There is yet another level to Kent’s letters to Kathleen – a very disturbing one. On Dec. 10th he writes: “God what a letter I have just written to you! Pages and pages of tragedy. Don’t let me do it anymore. I’ve destroyed the letter – or will in a few minutes. Listen darling – if you write me unkindly again, if you fail me in your love, I’ll wire to you to come. Then you must come, if it cost every cent we have – or send me $300.- and I’ll leave here at once with Rockwell, bring him to you -- and go. There’s my tragedy! But my darling I mean this. Be careful what you write to me. Let no one, for any cause, rob you of your leisure to write every day faithfully to me. Too much hangs upon it. So far Alaska has been a tragic experience to me.”


 Pen and ink from Wilderness

Kathleen’s friends, like Bernice and Billy, are "robbing" Kathleen of her leisure by taking her to Broadway shows and parties. Kent reasons that if she has time for that kind of entertainment she certainly can spend a week rereading all his letters and respond in detail. Kent believes he is fulfilling his role in their relationship by struggling in exile on an Alaska island, lonely, despondent and depressed – missing his wife and children – while trying to produce the art that will finally raise them all up from poverty. Kathleen should be fulfilling her role, too – which is to make sure he is happy and encouraged. On Dec. 11th he writes: “Darling when you make me happy you’ll discover a different Rockwell, one you’ll love as much for his good spirits as for his – oh, I don’t know what it is you love me for. Meanwhile I’ll plug along here and do my best for…us all. This is our venture, yours and mine, to-gether we paint our picture…Alone I should fail completely.” Kent has his role in this Alaska enterprise and Kathleen has hers. And she is failing in her responsibilities in making him happy.


 Pen and ink from Wilderness

Earlier Kathleen wrote to Kent of a dream of hers – Kent has returned from Alaska and the first thing he does is go to the opera with Hildegarde. Kathleen immediately consults a lawyer for a divorce. Kent relates many of his disturbing dreams to her. Early on Dec. 11th he writes: “It is before breakfast. I write by lamp light. Oh what a sad night I’ve had. For many hours I’ve lain awake, dreaming awake living terrible scenes in full consciousness of them.” His dream: Kathleen has a brutal and filthy affair with an adulteress. “If I have sinned mother I have never in my most degraded moment lowered myself to the (crassness?) of that beast’s loftiest thought,” he confesses. This dream is followed by a waking nightmare: “One day you came to me and drew me by the hand into our living room, closed the door and we were alone. “I am leaving you very soon now, Rockwell. I am young and I shall go into the world alone to begin again. I shall hope for another family of children. These {children} I leave for you.” With what a breaking heart you said this and what a sublime sacrifice it was. But it was not to end in that way. Before the time of your going came I had put my affairs in order, written letters to all my friends and long long loving ones to you and the children – and shot myself. It was for me the natural thing to do. I thought of it calmly and I can write of it calmly to you and make you a promise faithfully upon my honor and my love for you. That when the time comes for it I will die calmly for you.”


Nightmare, 1941, Lithograph on Stone, 10 7/8 x 8 in.

After reading these letters, one must wonder what Kent wrote in those he destroyed. He writes that he has burned many but admits he may have missed a few. The one’s quoted above may be among some he wished to toss. They lead us into the hidden chamber occupied by Kent’s demons.

Almost always, Kent ends his letters no matter how disturbing, professing his love for Kathleen. One of the Dec. 11th letters, ends with an especially revealing signature – “       And now my own loving, beautiful and sweet Kathleen – ten million kisses and an age long hug and a goodnight that shall but open the doors of dreamland when we’ll lie the night long together. God bless my darling wife. Her reformed old husband, the great I. A M”



 Pen and ink from Wilderness

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FEB. 5 - 8 VICTORIA HUTSON HUNTLEY -- FULL STORY

DECEMBER 29, 2019 PART I: THE ALLURE AND MAGNETISM OF ROCKWELL KENT

PART 1 OF 5 - THE NOT-SO-QUIET ADVENTURE