OCTOBER 7-8, 2018


ROCKWELL KENT WILDERNESS CENTENNIAL JOURNAL
100 YEARS LATER
by Doug Capra © 2018
October 7-8, 2018

This day 100 years ago on Oct. 7 1918, Rockwell Kent wrote: “Yesterday I wrote nothing in the diary – there was nothing to write but that it rained. “Rained like Hell” Olson’s journal doubtless reads, -- and ditto for to-day.” Those who have lived in Seward long enough will tell you that periods of constant rain can really get you down. And that what we often get this time of year. That’s why we were pleasantly surprised to have a sunny September with temperatures as high as the mid-70’s.

The cross squalls were terrible on Fox Island 100 years ago today – coming from all directions. The surface of Kent’s cove seethed with what Olson called the “wullys” – where a circular gust of wind creates a small cyclone of spray that travels across the water. The winds were so bad that they had to lash their boats down. As local mariner Jim Barkley notes from his experience on Fox Island, if you don’t do that in such weather, the wind will pick up your small boat and carry it away.

Kent describes “good hearty fights” he has with Rockie who attacks him with all his strength. Kent hits back with some force. Earlier I described the confrontations with local bullies Rockie had in Seward. At eight years old, just about to turn nine, he was large for his age with a kind, gentle personality. He didn’t want to fight. I believe Kent was trying to show him how strong he really was, that he had little fear of defending himself if necessary. As they washed dishes they played a game. Kent tried to wash so fast that Rockie could keep up with him in drying. Rockie would fall to the floor laughing and the two would wrestle roughly. More training, I believe, in toughening up his son.

Otherwise, they spend their time reading, drawing and cooking. “Cooking, somehow, is the least troublesome of all the daily chores,” Kent writes. Olson is lonely and frequently stops for visits, especially on rainy days like this one. While the old Swede tells stories, Kent stops his drawing and stretches canvas. I’m quite sure Olson told Kent and Rockie one of his stories today. I don’t know which one, but I’ll provide you with my dramatic version of one of my favorites.

The next day, Oct. 8, 1918 the rain continued and they had to empty their boats of water. “But what difference does it make to us,” Kent wrote. “Everyone is a good humor. The house is warm and dry; we’ve got lots to eat and lots to do.” Kent continued to sketch, paint and stretch canvas.


AND NOW THE WORLD AGAIN
by Doug Capra © 2018
DRAFT – Sept. 2018

This is a memory play. Scenes take place within Rockwell Kent’s mind. The central set is Fox Island in Resurrection Bay, about twelve miles south of Seward, Alaska Territory. Sometimes we are in Kent’s mind; sometimes we are on Fox Island, sometimes we are in Seward. But the setting moves fluidly from Fox Island to Washington, D.C. to Newfoundland or anywhere in Rockwell Kent’s memory. Time can go backward and forward in this play.

TIME:    1918 – 1919; Anytime during Kent’s life, 1882-1971
PLACE: The set is Fox Island. Memories can be from any place in Kent’s life.

ACT I
SCENE 4
“FIND ME A CABIN”

CHARACTERS
Kent
Olson
Rockie
Sidney Hildrith
George Willow
Carl Dresser

LIGHTS UP

Inside Kent’s Cabin on Fox Island. Kent stretches canvases and Rockie draws. 

KENT (To audience)
Yesterday I wrote nothing in the diary – there was nothing to write but that it rained. “Rained like Hell” Olson’s journal doubtless reads, -- and ditto for to-day.
OLSON (He hears Kent as he enters). Damn right! With the wind a wullys, too.


As Olson arrives the two are busy. Soon they become immersed in Olson’s story and put away their work.

KENT (To the audience)
Olson is full of stories.
OLSON
Damn right. And true, all of'em.
ROCKIE
Tell us the one about your cabin in Seward, Mr. Olson.
OLSON
Ah, you mean my “Government Railroad” house?
KENT
Well, it was on “government” property, wasn’t it?
OLSON
To Hell with “governments” and “railroads.”
ROCKIE
Tell us -- You came to Seward and built...
OLSONs
I came to Seward in 1915 and built a cabin on the beach. I'd been up in the Iditarod and then in San Francisco for a while. They were going to build a railroad. Dozens of cabins sat just above the high tide line. And we got our lumber from wherever the Hell we found it.
ROCKIE
So -- then you went to Valdez...
OLSON
The next year I headed to Valdez for the winter – ran a trap line up north -- and when I got back in the spring…
ROCKIE
No cabin. The bad men took it away...
OLSON
My neighbors told me we’d been squatting on “government” land, so the railroad officials bulldozed them and hauled the lumber away. Well -- I long-shored that summer and lived with some friends in Home Brew Alley. That’s down by where ladies of the evening have their…
KENT
Ah, let’s skip that, Lars. So, winter came?
ROCKIE
Yes, what happened when it got cold?
OLSON
It froze up early that fall and I needed a place to spend the winter. So -- I paid a visit to those “government” officials.
(Olson visits the Railroad Building and confronts the clerk, Sidney Hildrith)
Where’s my cabin?
HILDRITH
I beg your pardon?
OLSON
I want my cabin.
HILDRITH
What are you talking about, old man? Kind of early in the day to be hitting the bottle, isn’t it?
OLSON
I’ll tell you where you government lackies can shove that bottle.
HILDRITH
The name’s Hildrith -- Sidney Hildrith.
OLSON
Well, look here, Hildrith -- My cabin was one of those on the beach. I want it back.
HILDRITH
Oh, yes -- you must be one of the squatters. Got what was coming to you. We gave you plenty of warning to move out.
OLSON
I was in Valdez.
HILDRITH
You were squatting on government land.
OLSON
Squatter, huh?
HILDRITH
Squatter.
OLSON
The name’s Olson -- Lars Matt Olson, and I came into the country long before your mother -- who would be ashamed at your disrespect for your elders -- was scraping out your diapers.
HILDRITH
Well, Mr. Olson -- the land wasn’t yours to build on.
OLSON
I’ll build wherever the Hell I want to.
HILDRITH
And I’ll bet the lumber you used wasn’t yours either.
OLSON
(Pulls out a large buck knife and starts cleaning his fingernails)
Listen to me carefully, son. I don’t steal, but if your “Government Railroad” is stupid enough to just leave lumber laying around, I’ll use it.
HILDRITH
That’s stealing.
OLSON
This used to be a free country. See this buck knife? Now I’m using it to clean my fingernails. But back in ‘93 or ‘94 in the Tanana country, I built a whole cabin with just this and my wits.
HILDRITH
Now, Mr. Olson...
OLSON
And I holed up for the winter alone in that cabin, trapped, and lived off the land. I don’t need government lumber to build a cabin.
HILDRITH
Okay, Mr. Olson. Put the knife away. I’m just a clerk around here. I couldn’t help you even if I wanted to.
OLSON
You know what they say, Hildrith -- Spring has sprung. Fall has fell. Winter’s around the corner, sure as Hell. I need place to live.
HILRITH
I’ll see if Mr. Willow can help you.
(He calls out to a nearby office)
Mr. Willow. I think you need to see this...gentleman...ah, Mr. Olson.
(George Willow enters. Hildreth stands by listening)
Mr. Olson is one of the...ah...squaters. He owned a cabin on the beach, the ones we plowed down.
WILLOW
What’s the knife for, Mr. Olson.
OLSON
(Putting the knife away)
Just trimming my fingernails, Mr. Willow -- while educating this fine young man in the long-lost craft of constructing log cabins. You know, using as few tools as possible. Do you know anything about cabins, Mr. Willow?
WILLOW
Unfortunately, Mr. Olson, your cabin was located on Government Railroad property.
OLSON
Don’t I know you, Willow? Didn’t you work at the Northern, behind the bar?
WILLOW
That was me. Before the Territory went “dry.”
OLSON
Aren’t you married to that new school teacher?
WILLOW
Yes. And we’ve got a new baby, a little girl. But we had to mow the cabins down, sir. They were in the way.
OLSON
You live up behind the lagoon, don’t you, in that new house with the big garden?
WILLOW
Ah...yes...
(Getting back to business)
But you built on government property, Mr. Olson
OLSON
So, the government owns the beach now?
WILLOW
Above the high tide line, yes. If you folks had built a bit lower, we’d have left you alone.
OLSON
If we’d built a bit lower, Willow, the spring tides would have floated our cabins away.
WILLOW
That may be, Mr. Olson, but it’s neither here nor there. You built on property that wasn’t yours. Now, I could take this a bit further and ask where you obtained your lumber, but I won’t do that.
OLSON
Find me a cabin, Willow, or I swear to God -- I’ll move in with you and your family. And I’ll bring my goats. I know where you live, Willow.
WILLOW
(Long pause)
Ah...I’ll tell you what, Mr. Olson. I don’t have the authority to help you. But I’ll take this up with my superior and see what can be done.
OLSON
I know all about “see what can be done.” Let me talk to your supervisor.
WILLOW
That would be Mr. Dresser. But he’s upstairs and very busy now.
OLSON
Wouldn’t be Carl Dresser, would it? I’ll go right up and pay the man a visit.
WILLOW
You stay right here, Mr. Olson. I’ll go see Mr. Dresser and explain to him your situation. Hildrith, entertain Mr. Olson for a few moments.
(Willow exits. Hildrith doesn’t know what to do. The two just stare at each other. Olson takes out his knife, looks at Hildrith and says “Boo!”  Hildrith jumps. Willow soon returns with Mr. Carl Dresser. Hildrith and Willow stand by)
DRESSER
Lars, how you been? Haven’t seen you since up in Flat, right? During the Iditarod rush -- seven, eight years ago.
(They shake hands)
OLSON
I’m doing pretty well, Carl. When did you stop lawyering and start working for the government?
DRESSER
The rush went bust for me. When the government decided to build this railroad to Fairbanks, I settled along Ship Creek. Got a job with the railroad overseeing contracts. Now I’m in Seward doing the same. You working in town?
OLSON
Hawkins and I got a fox farm with some goats out on Fox Island.
DRESSER
I’ve heard about that enterprise. Quite successful.
(Long pause)
So, one of those cabins was yours, Lars?
OLSON
Larger one of the three nearest the wreck of Peterson’s old schooner. The one with the metal roof.
DRESSER
Yes, that was unfortunate. We did try to find the owners, didn’t we?
(He looks toward Hildreth and Willow)
HILDRITH AND WILLOW
Yes, sir. We tried but we couldn’t locate any of them.
OLSON
I was in Valdez.
DRESSER (Long pause)
Willow, what are we doing with that old shed we moved from the dock to the alleyway?
WILLOW
Nothing, sir. It’s almost empty. I think we might have some rope stored there.
DRESSER
Let’s give that shed to, Mr. Olson. Has a good roof, doesn’t it?
(Hildreth and Willow agree)
That should do you for the winter, Lars.
OLSON
Thanks, Carl.
DRESSER
But I can’t let you move it back on the beach, Lars. That’s off limits. You’ve got to find another place. But we’ll move it for you.
OLSON
No problem, Carl. Thanks again.
DRESSER
(Under his breath)
Let’s have a drink sometime, Lars.
(Aside to Hildrith and Willow)
Coffee.
(Back to Olson)
We can talk about the days when you could build a cabin on the beach without it disappearing.
(Aside to Olson)
And drink something stronger than coffee.
OLSON
Come out to the fox farm sometime, Carl. We’ll sample some of my personal stock. (pause)
(To Hildrith and Willow)
Goat’s milk.
DRESSER
I’ll be sure to stop out there. The shed’s yours, Lars. Mr. Willow will work out the details with you.
(Dresser exits)
WILLOW
Sorry for the mix up, Mr. Olson. You just tell us where you want that shed and we’ll have a team haul it for you. Hildrith, I’m this turning this entire project over to you. See to it.
HILDRITH
Yes, sir.
(Olson pulls out his buck knife again to clean his fingernails. Hildrith just chuckles)
KENT
So, where’d you put your cabin, Lars?
OLSON
On a lot just north of town.
ROCKIE
Whose lot?
OLSON
Who the Hell knows? Nobody cared -- for a year or so. But one day the owner ordered it off.
ROCKIE
What’d you do?
OLSON
I moved it a dozen or so yards west.
KENT
Wasn’t that the middle of a street?
OLSON
Not yet. Back then it was just brush and tree stumps.
KENT
So -- what happened when the town sent a man and team to remove the stumps and improve the street?
OLSON
I told him: “If you’re paid to remove the stumps, you may as well move my house for me.”
ROCKIE
Where to?
OLSON
You can suit yourself, I told him.
KENT
Where’d he move it?
OLSON
On to another lot.
ROCKIE
Whose lot?
OLSON
Who the Hell knows?
KENT
(To the Audience)
And there it stands today...neat and trim.
OLSON
With a little wood walk connected to a plank sidewalk. I call it my “Government Railroad House.”

BLACKOUT



PHOTOS


Hunter Hollingsworth played Rockie on Fox Island in a workshop production of my play
about Rockwell Kent, And Now the World Again.






       The program for the play with the full cast at below left. Notice that Rockie is hold his stuffed animal, Squirlie. Below right from left to right, Kent, Rickie and Olson during a reader's theater production. Photo at right courtesy of Carol Griswold.






     Resurrection Bay on Monday, Oct. 1, 2018 – a perfect window to row out to Fox Island -- maybe. The peak at center is the northern headland of Fox Island. The two peaks to the right are also Fox Island. To the right of the photo is Caines Head. (Capra photo)






        Resurrection Bay on Tuesday, Oct. 2, 2018 – the window is closing. Might not be a good day to start out. Fox Island is at center of photo.







Kent's typical menu from Wilderness.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FEB. 5 - 8 VICTORIA HUTSON HUNTLEY -- FULL STORY

DECEMBER 29, 2019 PART I: THE ALLURE AND MAGNETISM OF ROCKWELL KENT

PART 1 OF 5 - THE NOT-SO-QUIET ADVENTURE